Published: 00:02, 26 March 2015
Canterbury’s Lounge on the Farm festival will not take place this summer for the first time in nine years, we can reveal.
Organisers of the event say they are taking a year off – but hope to return in 2016 at a new venue in the city.
Festival co-founder Sean Baker says the decision was taken for a variety of reasons, not least because its long association with Merton Farm has come to an end.
Last year’s festival – the ninth since its launch in 2006 – was reduced to one day from its usual three because more land was required for farming, significantly reducing the space available for camping and parking.
It has left Mr Baker looking for a new venue to host future festivals – something he hopes to have sorted by next year.
He said: “We have spent a few months deciding the best course of action as we have some new team members and a choice of new sites, which is really exciting.
“But I am waiting for a knee replacement operation and co-founder Victoria Hazell has a baby due in July.
“In order to ensure that Lounge is the festival we all love so much, we have decided the best thing to do is take a year out.
“It worked for Glastonbury and after 10 years I think it is the right decision.
“We delivered a one-day event last year and although we were proud of it, we wanted to make sure the next one is even better.”
Mr Baker says he cannot reveal the identity of potential new sites for next year’s festival, but says they are in the city.
He said: “Rest assured, they are in the Canterbury area and we have no plans to move.
“We did get offers to take it to other towns and cities but we feel it belongs in Canterbury and we’re looking forward to the next 10 years.”
The Lounge on the Farm team also organise the Canterbury Food and Drink Festival, which this year takes place in the Dane John Gardens from September 25 to 27.
Stories you might have missed
More by this authorGerry Warren