Home   Canterbury   News   Article

Canterbury man playing Pokemon Go left with serious head injuries after being attacked by teenagers at Sturry recreation ground

A vicious attack left a man needing staples in his head after he was set upon by a group of teenagers who took issue with him sitting on "their" park bench.

Mark Fernyhough, 37, was beaten by a gang of up to eight people at Sturry recreation ground near Canterbury.

Mark suffered injuries to his head and eye
Mark suffered injuries to his head and eye

He was visiting the park with his girlfriend Tasha Feuchuk to play the augmented reality mobile game Pokemon Go when the couple were approached while sitting on a bench.

"We sat on these benches in the middle of the park and out of the corner of my eye I saw some shapes and then I heard ‘Oi that’s where we sit’", recalled Miss Feuchuk.

WARNING: Graphic injury image below

"I got up immediately and started to walk off and realised Mark wasn’t beside me and I turned around and I saw them shoving him.

"They had him stuck against the park equipment and they were hitting him in the head with something.

"It was dark but there must have been between six and eight of them."

The attack happened at Sturry Recreation Ground
The attack happened at Sturry Recreation Ground

After managing to pull her partner away, the couple managed to leave the park and immediately dialled 999.

Miss Feuchuk, 25, said: "Mark was having trouble walking after being hit in the head but I got him down the street.

"We sat on somebody's steps and the lovely neighbours let us in while we waited for the police."

Officers drove Mr Fernyhough to A&E at the QEQM Hospital in Margate where he needed a CT scan and staples in his head.

Mark needed staples in his head following the attack
Mark needed staples in his head following the attack

He is now recovering well but has been left with little hope the culprits will be found.

Kent Police confirmed officers were called to the Sturry park at 7.50pm last Wednesday.

A spokesman said inquiries are ongoing.

Anyone who witnessed what happened or has any information is urged to call police on 01843 222289, quoting reference 46/216297/22.

Close This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies.Learn More