Police are still investigating a fire which destroyed a Kent flat.
Three people were arrested after the blaze at Hertford Court, Kent Avenue, Canterbury, on Wednesday night.
Geoffrey Kear was among the people forced to leave the 24-flat council-owned building when it was evacuated.
The 59-year-old, who lived in the flat next to the one which caught fire, said: ""I called 999 when I heard the smoke alarm go off and looked into the corridor to see it was filled with smoke. Then I could see the neighbour's flat was filled with a huge pinkish white flame and the windows had been blown out."
Residents will be allowed to returned once the city council has given them the say-so.
Up to 25 firefighters fought the blaze. Crews were called at 10pm Wednesday. Canterbury crew manager Scot Pearce said the smoke alarms in neighbouring flats may well have saved lives.
A 23-year-old woman, a 25-year-old man and a 22-year-old man have been arrested in connection with the incident.
• For more news from Canterbury, Whitstable, Herne Bay and Faversham visit kentishgazette.co.uk >>>