Home   Canterbury   News   Article

Clubbers try to barge their way into Steinbeck and Shaw in Canterbury

Police descended on a Canterbury nightspot after a huge crowd of revellers tried to force their way inside.

Officers closed a section of St George’s Place outside Steinbeck and Shaw after the disturbance at 11.20pm.

The popular club is understood to have been forced to shut its doors for the night after sections of a 150-strong queue outside grew impatient as they failed to gain entry as it hit capacity.

Steinbeck and Shaw in Canterbury
Steinbeck and Shaw in Canterbury

Clubbers then tried to force their way into the venue for its regular Monday "Industry" event – a night of hip-hop, grime and R 'n' B.

Dover Street resident Doug Smith said: “There were loads of people milling about in the street and the blue lights of police cars lighting up the surrounding buildings.

"It all looked very chaotic.”

Police say they were called at 11.20pm.

They made no arrests and there were no reported injuries.

Spokesman Natalie Hardy said: “On arrival there were concerns for the safety of a large number of people who were trying to gain entry to the club.

"High jinks can easily slide into anti-social behaviour, so my message is know your limits, stay safe and think of others" - Ch Insp Mark Weller

"We worked with the venue to ensure public safety by dispersing the large crowd.”

In an unrelated incident, police were also called to Club Chemistry in Station Road East at 2am on Sunday.

Police say a woman suffered facial injuries after reports of an assault.

The incidents happened as Canterbury welcomes thousands of new and returning students at the start of the academic year, which sees freshers’ events take place across the city.

Ch Insp Mark Weller, the Canterbury district commander, has asked those on nights out to enjoy themselves but behave responsibly.

He said: “I remember what it’s like to be 18. I grew up in Canterbury and socialised in the city.

"There were fewer students in those days but the pubs and clubs were just as busy as they are now and we had a lot of fun.

“I want our new cohort of students to have fun, too.

"But I also want them to be safe and to have some respect for residents who don’t want to be up at 2am listening to others out partying.

Chief Inspector Mark Weller
Chief Inspector Mark Weller

“Because, fast forward five years, and that could be you trying to sleep knowing you’ve got work in the morning.

“High jinks can easily slide into anti-social behaviour, so my message is know your limits, stay safe and think of others.”

Meanwhile, an inquest has yet to be opened into the death of an 18-year-old student who died on her first night at the University of Kent on September 17.

The circumstances have yet to be made public, but it is believed she was found in a shower at her halls of residence in Tyler Court.

Close This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies.Learn More