Home   Canterbury   News   Article

Smoke alarm saves family

Firefighters say a smoke alarm probably saved a family from a serious blaze at their home at Howe Barracks in Canterbury.

They were alerted by the detector after bedroom curtains caught alight at about 6pm on Saturday.

Canterbury watch manager Sheridan Hudson Peacock said: “By the time we arrived someone had thrown a bucket of water over the fire and put it out so fortunately there was minimal damage.

“But is clearly shows the value of having a smoke detector which raised the alarm very early and prevented what might have become a far more serious incident.”

The fire service offers free smoke alarms and fitting to people’s homes and the service is available by calling 0800 923 7000.

Close This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies.Learn More