Home   Canterbury   News   Article

Student Patrick Coakley died after taking MDMA 'bombs' at Canterbury’s Club Chemistry

A student suffered multiple organ failure and a cardiac arrest after taking a fatal amount of MDMA, an inquest heard.

Patrick Coakley died at the QEQM Hospital in Margate on January 29 after collapsing at Canterbury’s Club Chemistry on Saturday, January 27.

An inquest into his death in June was adjourned after assistant coroner James Dillon asked for further evidence from the hospital.

Patrick Coakley
Patrick Coakley

At a reconvened hearing on Thursday, August 30, Mr Dillon concluded Mr Coakley’s death was drug-related.

The hearing was told Mr Coakley was visiting a school friend in Canterbury, had taken cocaine the previous night while at university nightclub Venue, and was sick several times the following day.

He and his friend took MDMA before heading to Chemistry that evening.

On entering the club, they went to the bottom floor toilets where the rest of the MDMA was made into “bombs” by wrapping it in paper, and then swallowed.

Mr Coakley, from Whitton in London, later collapsed shortly before 2am and was rushed to hospital, where he died the following day.

Pathologist Nicola Ingram told the hearing she recorded an MDMA level of 1.5mg per litre in Mr Coakley’s blood.

It was outlined that a fatal level is between 0.6 to 3.7mg per litre, with one in 10 fatalities at a level of 1.6mg.

Mr Dillon passed his condolences to Mr Coakley’s family.


More by this author


Close This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies.Learn More