Published: 07:45, 08 September 2019
| Updated: 08:25, 08 September 2019
An out of control back garden bonfire spread to nearby bins, a hedge and a car after it was left unattended.
Fire crews were called to Harcourt Drive in Canterbury at 3.25pm yesterday.
A hose reel jet was used to douse the flames.
No injuries were reported - but the worrying incident has sparked a warning from firefighters.
“Remember to build your bonfire well clear of buildings, garden sheds, fences, hedges and overhanging branches, and keep it to a manageable size," says Leanne McMahon, Kent Fire and Rescue Service's group manager for community safety.
"Also, make sure it's evenly built so it collapses inwards as it burns. It’s really important not to leave bonfires unattended, and if it has to be left, damp it down with water."
The crews had put the blaze out by 3.49pm.
More by this authorPhil Hayes