Home   Canterbury   Sport   Article

Kent sign South Africa captain Faf du Plessis for remainder of T20 Blast

Kent have sealed the signing of South Africa captain Faf du Plessis for the rest of this season's T20 Blast campaign, subject to regulatory approval.

The 35-year-old arrives ahead of the Spitfires' clash with Gloucestershire after they were forced to enter Friday's defeat to Surrey without an overseas representative following an injury to New Zealander Adam Milne and the departure of Afghanistan all-rounder Mohammad Nabi.

The Proteas skipper is one of 30 men to have scored an IT20 century in their career, hitting 119 off just 56 balls against the West Indies in 2015.

Adam Milne celebrates a wicket against Somerset. Picture: Ady Kerry
Adam Milne celebrates a wicket against Somerset. Picture: Ady Kerry

On joining Kent Cricket, du Plessis said: "I really look forward to joining up with Kent for the last part of the Vitality Blast.

"I will do my best to contribute to the already successful team and hopefully help them to lift a trophy. I have played with some of the squad members in the past and look forward to joining up with all the guys again."

Du Plessis averages 35.86 in IT20s with the bat and scored 100 in his most recent ODI against Australia during the ICC Cricket World Cup at Old Trafford.

South Africa’s Men’s Cricketer of the Year has also seen his leg-spin claim 50 domestic T20 wickets in 52 innings at an average of 18.34 and an economy rate of 6.96.

Director of Cricket Paul Downton said: "We’re really excited to be able to bring in a world class player such as Faf for the rest of the Vitality Blast.

"He is a world-class batsman and, along with his leadership skills, he will be a major asset to our young side, as we seek to progress to the quarter finals and beyond in this year’s competition."

Head coach Matt Walker recently admitted the club has found it difficult to find a new overseas representative in light of the limited options available at the moment.

Speaking last week, he said: "We're still trying hard, we're moving forward hopefully but it's been an immense struggle to try and find somebody, (there's) just not been the people out there that are able to come.

"We're trying to bring in a world class player that's going to make a difference but it is hard."

Du Plessis could now feature against Gloucestershire at Canterbury on Thursday before visiting Essex at Chelmsford the following night.

Read more: All the latest Kent sport news


More by this author


Close This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies.Learn More