Home   Canterbury   Sport   Article

Kent v Yorkshire - Match Report

Kent Spitfires lost their Royal London One-Day quarter-final by 11 runs against Yorkshire in front of a full house at Canterbury.

The tie went down to the wire with few people in the near 6,000 crowd leaving as the tension built at the Spitfire Ground St Lawrence, as Kent set 257 to win, were dismissed for 245 with 2.1 overs remaining.

James Tredwell was adjudged lbw by David Willey, to send the White Rose county, still eyeing a domestic treble, through to a last four home meeting with Surrey.

Matt Coles took 3-39 against Yorkshire in the Royal London One Day Cup quarter-final defeat at Canterbury Pic; Wayne McCabe
Matt Coles took 3-39 against Yorkshire in the Royal London One Day Cup quarter-final defeat at Canterbury Pic; Wayne McCabe

Tredwell and Charlie Hartley had added 30 in seven overs to keep the Spitfires' run chase going, before the latter went for 15, having come together with the score 212-7 with nine overs left.

Matt Coles struck two sixes in a quickfire 22 before being given out stumped after a third umpire review, after Darren Stevens and Alex Blake had started Kent's recovery.

The 40-year-old beneficiary making his 500th appearance for the county hit 54, before falling to Liam Plunkett's one handed catch off his own bowling as he finished with 4-52 to win the man-of-the-match award.

Stevens added 86 in 14 overs with Alex Blake, who survived a blow on the helmet from a to make a fine 50 off 36 balls, seven fours and a six only to go caught behind next ball.

Daniel Bell Drummond went early lbw to David Willey for 2, before Joe Denly and skipper Sam Northeast gradually got the Spitfires innings going.

Denly hit two fours off Tim Bresnan, then struck Plunkett to the ropes twice in his first over.

Both batsmen hit maximums off Bresnan and Steven Patterson, before Yorkshire removed them and Sam Billings in the space of six overs.

Northeast (23) chipped Plunkett straight to Gary Ballance, Billings looked disappointed to be adjudged lbw off Patterson, before Denly, attempting to go big again, skied Plunkett to Willey having made 31.

Earlier Kent's bowlers had fully justified Northeast's decision to bowl first after winning the toss.

Coles, the leading bowler in the compeitition, finished with 3-39, while Hartley claimed the big scalps of Root and Bairstow on his way to 2-42, following up his impressive figures in the group win against Gloucestershire.

Mitch Claydon made the early breakthrough removing skipper Alex Lees (7) held by Blake on the deep square boundary with the total 27 in the fifth over.

Root joined Lyth, adding 90 in 19 overs for the second wicket, before the England ace fell to more good work by Blake, running to his left at deep mid-wicket for 45.

Bairstow (nine off 16 balls including two fours) then hit Hartley straight to Daniel Bell Drummond.

Lyth batted well before being caught behind by Billings off Coles for 88 - made off 96 balls including nine fours and a six - fourth out at 168.

Tim Bresnan (10) and Willey fell in the same Will Gidman over - the latter snapped up first ball by a smart leg-side take by Billings

Liam Plunkett fell to Coles, taken off a skier by Northeast, before Ballance (37 off 55 balls) was run-out.

Coles bowled Azeem Rafiq for one, before Rashid hit Claydon for six and four in the final over to take his side past 250 which in the end proved enough - just.

Close This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies.Learn More