Home   Canterbury   Sport   Article

Kent Spitfires (322-7) lost to Worcestershire Rapids (323-7) by three wickets in the One-Day Cup

Kent's George Munsey and Harry Finch shared a record partnership - but Spitfires were still beaten by three wickets in a tense finale at New Road on Sunday.

The duo put on 184, a Kent List A record for any partnership against Worcestershire, but Joe Leach and Ed Barnard produced a record-breaking seventh-wicket stand to guide the Rapids home.

George Munsey - scored a century for Kent against Worcestershire. Picture: Keith Gillard (49482831)
George Munsey - scored a century for Kent against Worcestershire. Picture: Keith Gillard (49482831)

Munsey said: “It is a pretty hard one to take if I’m honest. I thought we did pretty well throughout the whole game and the innings by Joe Leach at the end took it away from us, fair credit to him.

“It is always nice to score a few runs but we play this game to win and it’s always disappointing when you can’t quite get the team to a position where you can win.

“There were some fine margins today. There were definitely things we could have done better but at the same time I don’t think we were too horrendous.

“I just thought it was a pretty special knock from Joe (Leach) and he really had to come out and have a world beating sort of knock and he certainly did that.

“We will go back, we will come together as a team and see if there is anything we can do better for next time. That is the key for all these tournaments.”

Leach put the Spitfires into bat on a hybrid pitch and the move initially paid off. Spitfires captain Ollie Robinson (13) was caught at cover off Charlie Morris and Heino Khun (19) was run out by Jake Libby’s direct hit from mid-on.

Tawanda Muyeye (22) played back to spinner Josh Baker and was bowled but Scotland international Munsey and Finch seized command for Kent.

Finch was initially the more aggressive and reached his half-century from 63 balls - 12 less than Munsey.

Munsey, who had scored 96 against Durham in the opening One-Day Cup game, gradually upped the tempo and required only another 33 balls in moving from fifty to three figures.

Adam Finch broke the stand when he trapped his namesake lbw for 84 from 79 deliveries with one six and 10 fours working to leg.

Munsey’s superb knock came to end on 108 and he also went lbw, attempting a reverse sweep against Ed Barnard. His 113 balls-innings contained two sixes and 14 fours.

Darren Stevens hit a quickfire 23 and late order runs from Milnes and Marcus O’Riordan lifted the final total past 300.

Rapids opener Jack Haynes laid the foundations with a fine 77 and he received good support from Tom Fell before Leach’s late assault alongside excellent support from Barnard.

Leach and Barnard came together at 184-6 in the 34th over and their stand of 134 in 15.2 overs was a new Worcestershire record for the seventh wicket in all List A cricket.

Dell, on 20, was caught at cover off Stevens but new batsman Fell and Haynes prospered.

Fell reeled off a succession of impressive strokes and Haynes also looked in good touch although he had one left off on 23 to Harry Finch off Matt Quinn.

He completed a 51-ball fifty and Haynes followed him to his half-century from the next delivery. The second wicket pair added 94 when Fell was caught behind off Grant Stewart for 57 with two sixes and six fours.

Jake Libby, on 17, fell to a smart catch at backward point off Quinn and Haynes top edged a catch to backward square leg off James Logan, who played for Worcestershire 2nds earlier this season.

Gareth Roderick and debutant Jacques Banton fell cheaply but then came the heroics from Leach and Barnard, who finished unbeaten on 39 from 46 balls.

Read more: All the latest sports news in Kent

Close This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies.Learn More