Published: 06:00, 11 September 2018
| Updated: 06:55, 11 September 2018
Veteran all-rounder Darren Stevens has signed a new one-year deal with Kent.
The 42-year-old announced the move after taking four wickets and scoring a half-century on day one of Kent’s County Championship game at Middlesex on Monday.
“I put pen to paper last week so one more year,” said Stevens. “I’m happy, very happy.
“They spoke to me early season and said what do you want to do. I said ‘let’s have a chat in July. If I’m doing alright and my body’s good and I feel like I’m doing my job, then let’s have another chat’.
“We had that chat, it was positive. Then we sat down and I signed last week.”
Stevens has 32 wickets at 20.03 apiece in the County Championship while his 64 at Lord’s was only his second half-century of the summer.
Like many batsmen around the country, Stevens has struggled for runs in the four-day game, making 266 in total at an average of 22.16 this summer.
But he has been a key part of the Kent side which is pushing for promotion to Division 1 and also helped the team reach a Lord’s final in the Royal London One-Day Cup, playing in the defeat to Hampshire at the end of June.
Asked if he had any intention of playing on beyond 2019, Stevens replied: “One year at a time!”
Every morning at 10am we play you an hour of tunes from the 90s. We call it, #WeLoveThe90s.
Play 'Say It' with Garry and Laura on kmfm Breakfast and you could win £1,000!
Wake up to kmfm Breakfast with Garry and Laura - it's Kent's alarm call.