Home   Dartford   News   Article

Dr Kamran Khan seeks legal representation after denying 'inappropriate discharge' of Sian Hollands hours before her death at Darent Valley Hospital

An inquest into the death of a young mum who died just hours after being discharged from hospital has been adjourned after it emerged that a key witness required legal representation.

Dr Kamran Khan gave 25-year-old Sian Hollands the all-clear to leave Darent Valley Hospital at 3.30pm on Sunday, November 15 2015, a day after she was admitted with severe chest and stomach pains and a difficulty with walking.

She never left the hospital and died at just before 10pm after suffering a cardiac arrest, with Dartford and Gravesham NHS Trust later admitting that being inappropriately discharged was one of a number of failings by the hospital that led to her death.

Sian with her daughters, Eden (left) and Marne (right)
Sian with her daughters, Eden (left) and Marne (right)

Dr Khan was called to give evidence at the inquest at Gravesend Old Town Hall this morning, and had indicated that he was happy for the Trust to represent him, only to later dispute its admission that his decision to discharge Sian was inappropriate.

He claimed that he was not given vital notes by nurses who were monitoring Sian for much of the day before he discharged her, including the fact that she had been given oxygen and continued to complain of chest and stomach pains.

Dr Khan said: "If I was aware of the facts, my decision to discharge her at that moment would have been wrong, but this was my personal clinical assessment."

Darent Valley Hospital
Darent Valley Hospital

Yesterday the inquest heard from Sian's former partner Carl Elleyne, who was with her at the hospital for much of the Sunday, who criticised the conduct of two nurses.

Both were agency nurses and have so far not been called to give evidence as they have not been identified.

Sian, a former drug addict who had suffered an ectopic pregnancy while in prison, was asleep and appeared to be comfortable when Dr Khan made his decision, on the condition that she did not begin to feel unwell again when she woke up.

"If I was aware of the facts, my decision to discharge her at that moment would have been wrong, but this was my personal clinical assessment" Dr Kamran Khan

He had started his shift at 9am and said he was not informed of any unusual activity from overnight, despite the inquest being told yesterday that Sian had threatened to discharge herself in the early hours.

Dr Khan saw Sian for the first time at 10.30am and prescribed her daily dose of methadone, which she had not taken for four days due to being too poorly to go to the chemist.

The mum-of-three had been reluctant to go to hospital on the Saturday and put her pain down to medication withdrawal, which Dr Khan agreed with. She was then given one gram of paracetamol at about 1pm after further complaints of stomach pain.

Dr Khan, who has worked at the hospital since 2012, finished his shift and left the hospital at 5pm. He was shocked to hear of Sian's death later that night, which has been put down to a pulmonary embolism - a hard to identify clot that prevents blood reaching the lungs.

Dr Khan immediately prepared a draft statement following Sina's death as he suspected an inquest would likely follow, and he is under investigation by the General Medical Council for the role he played on the day.

He disagrees with the criticisms made of him, including the decision to discharge her.

Dr Khan has managed to secure legal representation and the inquest is scheduled to continue tomorrow at 10am.

Follow us

Like Us on Facebook

Most popular

Kent Travel News

Close This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies.Learn More