Home   Dartford   News   Article

Burglar Dean Reid told to expect minimum of ten years after raid in Dartford

A thug who took part in an armed raid on a house and stole from the terrified occupants is facing a jail sentence in double figures.

Dean Reid was told by a judge he could receive an extended sentence which affected his release date.

He denied aggravated burglary but was convicted after a jury heard his DNA was found on a piece of latex from a glove at the house in Elm Road, Dartford.

The case was heard at Maidstone Crown Court
The case was heard at Maidstone Crown Court

The 31-year-old and another man went there on the evening of July 11 last year and confronted the three residents.

Maidstone Crown Court was told the woman and her boyfriend had just returned from walking their dog at 8.25pm when they were met by one of the raiders outside their front door.

“It is a substantial custodial sentence. There is no point in looking at anything else whatsoever. The starting point is 10 years” - Judge Heather Baucher

Prosecutor Ahmed Hossain said the man was scowling and pointing a gun at them.

As the male resident turned around the man said: “Don’t ------- move or I’ll shoot your girl.”

The man tried to push his girlfriend inside the house but he was stopped and struck him with the gun and fists.

A second man appeared and both demanded money. The man and woman were manhandled into the lounge.

One of the attackers grabbed the man, putting his fingers in his mouth and made further threats as the woman screamed and wept in terror.

Their housemate returned home and was also pushed into the house and told he would be shot if he shouted out.

There were more demands for money before one of the men made the woman hand over her £7,500 Rolex watch.

They also took a £1,000 watch, wallets, purse, handbag, iPad, jewellery, cash and two mobile phones.

The men decided to take the first man with them as they left but his girlfriend suspected the gun was a fake and grabbed a knife and passed it to her boyfriend.

Reid and the other man fled with the man giving chase down the road. They drove off in a van.

Judge Heather Baucher adjourned sentence on Reid, of Dartmouth Road, Sydenham, south east London, until March 17 so that dangerousness could be assessed.

“It is a substantial custodial sentence,” she said. “There is no point in looking at anything else whatsoever. The starting point is 10 years.”

Reid was on licence at the time of the offence for inflicting grievous bodily harm, for which he was jailed for two years at Lewes Crown Court in October 2014.

Close This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies.Learn More