Home   Dartford   Sport   Article

Welling United 2 Dartford 0 match report

Dominant Welling eased to three derby points on Boxing Day against Dartford at Park View Road.

Goals in either half from Josh Hill and Danny Mills did the damage as Dartford were never at the races despite starting the day just a point behind the Wings in the table.

True to their word, Dartford opted for experience and packed their starting line-up with the old guard as Elliot Bradbrook and Ryan Hayes both featured in a five-man midfield.

Dartford captain Tom Bonner. Picture: Sean Aidan FM6192489
Dartford captain Tom Bonner. Picture: Sean Aidan FM6192489

It was not quite park the bus stuff but lone forward Jamie Philpot cut an isolated figure too often and the midfield's failure to retain possession, particularly Hayes, meant Darts were always pegged back.

Welling, without a win in their last three league outings, started brightly. Hill was a threat at every set-piece, nodding down a long free-kick which Mills volleyed well wide against his former club.

Mills then crossed from the right but Nassim L'Ghoul nodded wide.

Referee Wayne Cartmel tried his best to let the game flow but one foul too many by Mills saw him booked on the half-hour.

Within two minutes there was handbags from both sets of players, Welling surrounding the referee after Jordan Wynter fouled Mills. Darts captain Tom Bonner then kicked the ball against the grounded Mills long after the whistle had gone. Both Wynter and Bonner were correctly cautioned.

The breakthrough came seven minutes before the break. L'Ghoul's deep corner was met by the towering Hill, who nodded in his first goal for the club via the post.

Darts replaced Wynter at the break, bringing on Charlie Sheringham to go 4-4-2, but it was Welling who continued to dominate.

Mills should have made it 2-0 just 50 seconds after the restart, collecting Bradley Goldberg's cross before shooting wide of the far post.

Mark Onyemah went into the book although as the game went on players from both sides made more than there was from many challenges.

Goldbeg's 20-yard drive was beaten away and L'Ghoul and Gavin McCallum both shot wide from distance.

Sheringham warmed to the task as the half wore on, trying to lead from the front for the Darts who had their first shot at goal on 57 minutes through midfielder Lee Noble.

With only a one-goal advantage, Welling knew that one mistake would undo their hard work and they had an ideal chance to double their lead when Goldberg could only shoot against the upright from close range before Mills somehow headed the cross wide at the far post.

Welling finally wrapped the points up with eight minutes left when brilliant footwork by Kissock took him into the penalty area, Vose could only parry his cross and Mills was on hand to slam the ball home.

Bradbrook headed wide late on and substitute Andre Coker fired against the post but Darts were well below their best and will need to improve when the teams meet again at Princes Park on New Year's Day.

Welling: Wilks, McNamara, Genouesi, Mendy, Hill, Audel, McCallum (Newton 85mins), Kissock, Mills, Goldberg (Ijaha 80mins), L'Ghoul (Kiernan 84mins). Subs not used: Acheampong, Anau.

Dartford: Vose, Johnson, Vint, Bonner, Onyemah, Hayes (Coker 58mins), Noble, Wynter (Sheringham 46mins), Bradbrook, Greenhalgh, Philpot (Oyenuga 77mins). Subs not used: Derbyshire, Roberts.

Attendance: 1,912.

Close This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies.Learn More