A well known actor from Deal has apologised after he emailed implied threats to the owners of the dilapidated Regent Cinema.
Neil Stuke, who is renowned for his roles in series Doctor Foster and Silent Witness, messaged Mark Digweed and James Wallace last Thursday.
He said he wanted to “come and see them” with his pals “because we don’t like people like you”.
We have omitted the foul language included in the circular.
Mr Stuke is part of the Reopen the Regent campaign group – led by Laura Evers Johns, of Deal High Street – with aims to keep the Regent as a cinema.
His email, which he copied to East Kent Mercury news editor Beth Robson and DDC’s chief executive Nadeem Aziz and leader Paul Watkins, followed a string of correspondence between the owners and Miss Evers Johns.
In his written apology on Tuesday night he said: “I’m happy to apologise. I’m sorry for the language used.
“I allowed my frustrations to get the better of me as saving The Regent is something I believe very passionately about.”
The developers had called the police and officers spoke to them on Tuesday.
Police spokesman Jon Green said: “I can confirm this has been reported to police who have reviewed the relevant correspondence.
“Currently no offences have been committed. Mr Wallace has been given advice should problems escalate.”
The developers joint statement said: “We received a rather abrupt and slightly offensive
email from one of the Reopen the Regent members, which from our perspective and as we
previously highlighted, this isn’t conducive to their cause.
“We are currently working on a revised scheme based on previous comments from DDC at
our latest pre-planning meeting which will be exhibited following a further consultation with
DDC planning. As previously advised we anticipate this being in September.”