Published: 11:37, 14 September 2018
| Updated: 11:38, 14 September 2018
A car which plummeted 20ft into a castle moat has today been removed by a crane.
A small crowd gathered at Deal Castle to witness the recovery of the black BMW which veered off the road and into the moat on Saturday evening.
English Heritage will now carry out repairs to the railings and assess any damage to the ground in the moat where the car landed and make any repairs necessary.
Police say there have been no arrests in connection with the incident which occurred within metres of the annual Deal Food & Drink Festival.
It sparked an air ambulance to land on Deal beach and other emergency services to rush to the Tudor site.
The male driver was taken to William Harvey Hospital by a land ambulance suffering neck pain.
Family of the driver have claimed that he swerved to avoid pedestrians in the road.
English Heritage’s maintenance team immediately put a temporary barrier in place to cover the 20m long section of cast iron railings which had been damaged.
Ward councillor of 16 years, Bill Gardner, has since spoken out about previous speeding incidents in the area.
The Queens Flats resident of 10 months said he felt more policing was required.
He said: “Even with all the windows shut during the winter one can still hear the sounds of fast moving vehicles and the sound of brakes and tyres as cars run out of road.
“It is totally pointless having any speed limits on the roads when there are no police to enforce them.
“Cars and bikes use the seafront and the high street as a race track in the evenings and the police do nothing about it.”