Home   Deal   News   Article

A 29-year-old man from Deal was arrested after a family brawl at a funeral wake in Glack Road

By Emily Stott

A man was arrested after a funeral wake erupted into violence which spilled out onto the street.

The 29-year-old was held after the punch-up in Glack Road, which happened at 6pm last Tuesday.

It involved members of the same family who came to blows after a relative was laid to rest.

A fight broke out in Glack Road between family members after a funeral
A fight broke out in Glack Road between family members after a funeral

The wife of one of the men involved, Denise Boden, spoke to KentOnline in an attempt to set the record straight.

The 55-year-old, of Glack Road, had buried her father earlier in the day and claims her husband Robert, 61, suffered an angina attack at the wake.

She explained: "My husband was having breathing problems and that's how it started.

"He was having trouble breathing and someone wouldn't move back to give him some space and then it started kicking off."

Mrs Boden insisted there were no women involved in the fight, adding that they were trying to break it up.

She was among those trying to calm the violence, and suffered a broken hand and ribs in the scuffle.

“My husband was having trouble breathing and someone wouldn't move back to give him some space and then it started kicking off..." - Denise Boden

It was her son, Carl Boden, 29, who was later arrested by police and spent the night in a cell.

She added: "I tried to stop the fight and fractured my hand and ribs, and then me and my husband went in the ambulance."

Mr and Mrs Boden were treated at the scene as her husband did not wish to go to hospital. He is now recovering at home.

Mrs Boden added: "Nobody is talking to anybody in the family now. It might take some time before we can speak again."

South East Coast Ambulance Service confirmed one ambulance sent to the scene.

A spokesman said: "We were at the scene for well over an hour but no one required hospital treatment.

"There were facial injuries such as cuts to the mouth, nose and forehead and it involved around 10 people.

"We held back until police were on the scene."

Police said officers arrived at 5.50pm and remained at the scene for several hours taking statements.

A spokesman confirmed one man was arrested on suspicion of assault and has been bailed pending further inquiries until December 6.


Stories you might have missed

Sexual predator guilty of terrifying knifepoint attack

Sex fiend jailed for vile attacks on children

Friends' silence cost vital time, says detective

Couple sacrifice honeymoon to appear on Jeremy Kyle show


Follow us

Like Us on Facebook

Most popular

Kent Travel News

Close This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies.Learn More