Published: 00:00, 05 March 2016
| Updated: 11:52, 05 March 2016
A woman and her elderly mother had just seconds to remove themselves from the smoking car they were travelling in before it erupted into flames.
The incident, involving a black Renault Scenic, happened in Deal Library’s car park off the High Street at around 11.35am, today.
The blaze captured the attention of many Saturday shoppers, who were warned to stay away from it as the flames grew and thick black smoke filled the sky.
It was tackled by Canterbury firefighters who were covering the Deal base while Deal firefighters were on exercise in Ramsgate.
They used a hose reel jet to put it out and remained on the scene until 12.30pm, to make it safe.
Crew manager Trevor Cox said: “It was purely accidental. We think there was an engine malfunction.
“A lady was driving. She was just about to park her car, when she smelt smoke.
“She got out of the car and helped her elderly mother out of the car and then it went up in flames.”
Two appliances attended at 11.50am, but only one was needed to extinguish it.
Crew manager Cox added: “The engine compartment and passenger compartment were completely destroyed by the fire.
“Nobody was injured.”