Home   Deal   News   Article

Sarah Everard murder: Wayne Couzens shared abusive messages with police colleagues

Sarah Everard's killer exchanged misogynistic, racist and homophobic material with police colleagues, it has emerged.

The Times reports five serving police officers are now under investigation for sharing the 'grossly offensive' material with Wayne Couzens on a WhatsApp group.

Wayne Couzens has been given a whole life term
Wayne Couzens has been given a whole life term

Three officers are from the Metropolitan Police, one from the civil nuclear constabulary and one from Norfolk.

The Independent Office for Police Misconduct said the officers were being investigated for gross misconduct.

The watchdog added the messages were of a 'discriminatory and/or inappropriate nature.'

The body is also carrying out other inquiries into offices who joked about violence towards women and inappropriately shared information connected to Couzens' prosecution.

The news comes as a McDonald's worker from Kent told how she reported half-naked Couzens to police after he flashed her at a drive-thru weeks before he murdered Sarah.

Sarah Everard
Sarah Everard

The 20-year-old told the Mail that she was working at the restaurant on the A20 at Swanley in February when she saw Couzens by the serving hatch with his trousers down.

She added: "The whole thing has left me quite disturbed. He casually pulled up to the serving hatch having ordered his food.

"I could clearly see he was naked from below the waist."

Couzens, 48, was yesterday given a whole life term for the kidnapping, rape and murder of 33-year-old marketing executive Sarah.

Among the shocking revelations to emerge yesterday was how he used his warrant card to falsely arrest Sarah by claiming he was on a Covid patrol.

Married father-of-two Couzens, from Deal, was off duty when he 'arrested' Sarah for alleged Covid breaches in south London, before handcuffing her and driving her to Kent in a hire car.

He stopped in Dover to move Sarah into his own car and then drove to a secluded area to rape and kill her.

He used his police belt to strangle her.

He later dumped Sarah in woodland in Ashford, returning over the next few days to burn her body and then hide her remains in a pond.

Lord Justice Fulford described the circumstances of the murder as "grotesque" and Sarah's final hours as “bleak and agonising as is possible to imagine”.

Read more: All the latest news from Deal

Close This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies.Learn More