Home   Deal   Sport   Article

FA Vase and Southern Counties East League round-up: Glebe lose FA Vase penalty shoot-out 11-10 and Snodland Town’s game at Farnham abandoned due to assistant referee injury

Southern Counties East Glebe were knocked out of the FA Vase after a marathon penalty shoot-out on Saturday in the Second Round.

Glebe were beaten 11-10 on spot-kicks at Burnham, with a total of 26 penalties being taken in the shoot-out.

Rory Smith - scored twice for Deal in the FA Vase on Saturday. Picture: Paul Willmott
Rory Smith - scored twice for Deal in the FA Vase on Saturday. Picture: Paul Willmott

During the 90 minutes, Jamie Philpot gave Glebe a third-minute lead but Anas Igozouin and Firas Chniba scored for Burnham before half-time.

Malachi Morris levelled matters with 16 minutes left but Glebe’s hopes of going through ended in the shoot-out.

Snodland Town’s game at Farnham Town was abandoned with just 19 minutes played due to an injury to an assistant referee.

The game was goalless at the time and Farnham wrote on X, formerly Twitter, that “Following an injury to a linesman after 19 minutes, play was brought to a stop so that he could receive treatment.

“A qualified official was identified in the crowd and prepared to replace the injured linesman after speaking with the referee, however it could not be agreed that they would be allowed to be involved for whatever reason.

“Details of a rescheduled fixture will be communicated in due course.

“A huge thanks to everyone who came to attend today's game, it's unfortunate to see the game called off in such circumstances.”

Former winners Deal Town won 4-1 at Newhaven to book their place in Monday’s draw.

Ben and Tom Chapman put the visitors in charge at the break and Rory Smith scored a quickfire double early in the second half to put the tie beyond doubt.

It was Deal’s first game in the competition this year, along with Erith Town who also progressed - 2-0 at home to Peacehaven & Telscombe.

James Dyer’s penalty and a Harry Taylor goal in the second half were enough for the Dockers.

In contrast, Holmesdale have now progressed through four rounds having started the Road to Wembley in August.

Manny Oshinowo, Callum Keeble and Sam Bayford’s penalty added up to a 3-1 home win over Haywards Heath.

Punjab United’s run came to an end despite Chris Edwards’ penalty putting them ahead at Roffey.

Shaun Findlay equalised before half-time before a late spot-kick from Ricardo Fernandes put the hosts through.

In league action, Faversham returned to the top of the table with a 2-0 win at Welling Town.

It was a comfortable afternoon for Sammy Moore’s men, although it may have been a different story had Welling’s Jordan Samuel not blasted wide their best chance after just two minutes.

Faversham’s Jordon Ababio had a goal ruled out for offside and Stefan Payne shot wide after a counter attack led by Ashley Miller in a goalless first half.

But Dominic Vincent conceded a penalty early in the second half, which was converted by Payne. The striker then added his second just past the hour after good work by Billy Bingham, at a time when Welling were reduced to 10 men with Vincent in the sin bin for dissent.

Stefan Payne - scored twice for Faversham at Welling Town. Picture: Ian Scammell
Stefan Payne - scored twice for Faversham at Welling Town. Picture: Ian Scammell

Whitstable got back to winning ways with a 3-0 victory at Rusthall thanks to Mikey Dalton, a Josh Oliver penalty and Josh Williams.

Alfie Eldridge scored the winner for Bearsted eight minutes from time at home to Hollands & Blair.

Lordswood - who have lost just once in the league so far - picked up their seventh draw after Freddie Oliver’s equaliser at Sutton Athletic.

Quadri Green put Lords ahead but Louis Lovell’s double put the hosts ahead in the first half.

Lydd’s game at home to Corinthian was postponed due to a waterlogged pitch but there were no such issues on the 3G at Homelands where Kennington came from two goals down to draw with VCD.

Sadick Balarbe and Richard Jimoh put the visitors in charge but Charlie Owen and Kyron Lightfoot - eight minutes from time - ensured Kennington came off the foot of the table.

AFC Whyteleafe remain top of Division 1 despite being held to a 1-1 home draw by Staplehurst.

Rochester missed the chance to replace them after losing 4-0 at home to Larkfield, for whom Matt Day bagged a hat-trick.

Lewisham Borough sit second after winning 5-2 at Greenways.

Close This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies.Learn More