Home   Deal   Sport   Article

Lincoln United 1 Deal Town 1 (United win 4-3 on penalties) in FA Vase quarter-final match at Ashby Avenue

Deal Town’s FA Vase dream is over after losing their quarter-final tie at Lincoln United on penalties.

In an entertaining opening half Ben Chapman scored just before the break after Lincoln had taken an early lead through Jack McMenemy. Fatigue set in for both teams as the match progressed and United hit the woodwork with a minute left leaving the tie to be settled on penalties, with the hosts winning the shootout 4-3.

Deal celebrate Ben Chapman's goal – but the Hoops lost their FA Vase Quarter-Final on penalties on Saturday after a 1-1 draw. Picture: Paul Willmott
Deal celebrate Ben Chapman's goal – but the Hoops lost their FA Vase Quarter-Final on penalties on Saturday after a 1-1 draw. Picture: Paul Willmott

Deal keeper James Tonkin had saved United’s first penalty but with United leading the shootout 4-3, he needed to score their fifth as he stepped up to face the opposition goalie but fired over the bar.

The Hoops were cheered on by a sizeable following in Lincoln as both sides knew a Wembley final was close.

Deal started brightly but found themselves a goal down after 15 minutes when Jake Park’s shot bounced off keeper James Tonkin’s chest and McMenemy rifled the loose ball home into the top corner.

There was a disallowed goal for Deal moments later for offside but the visitors from the SCEFL Premier Division spent the remainder of the half putting pressure on the Lincoln goal.

Deal winger Tom Chapman beat the Lincoln left-back Kallum Smith time and again but the hosts maintained their lead right up until towards the end of the half.

Tom Chapman dragged an effort wide after jinking his way to goal and then crossed for Ben Chapman who went close.

A chance from the opposite flank came following a well-worked corner straight from the training ground and Ashley Miller had a shot blocked.

A deserved equaliser came three minutes before the break when Miller sent the ball looping to the far post and Ben Chapman was on hand to nod the ball home.

Miller shot over just before the half-time whistle sounded as the sides went into the break level.

Home keeper Jack Steggles held onto another Miller effort early in the second half after the Deal forward cut in from the flank and unleashed a shot from the edge of the box.

With an hour gone Lincoln’s Kallum Smith fired over the Deal bar while visiting substitute Wes Hennessey headed into the fans behind the goal.

Tom Chapman was kept quieter by the home side in the second half but defender Sean Wright nearly turned one of the Deal winger’s crosses into his own net.

There were several players cramping up in the latter stages of the half and Lincoln striker Park couldn’t quite get a shot away from close range as Deal’s hearts were in mouths. Elliott Dye fired over another good chance for the hosts.

A snap-shot from Hennessy with 10 minutes left was spilled by the home keeper but he got lucky as no Deal player was on hand to capitalise.

United were denied by the woodwork with two minutes left when McMenemy beat the keeper with a lob but not the crossbar.

Deal’s previous match had been settled on penalties and this one went the same way as it finished 1-1 after normal time.

Both goalkeepers made saves from the first spot-kicks but from then on the penalties were converted as Billy Munday, Jack Penny and Aaron Millbank scored. At 4-3, Tonkin needed to convert to take the shootout to sudden-death, but he shot over the bar.

Deal Town: Tonkin, Reeves, Penny, Green, Foster, Munday, T Chapman (Oni 74mins), Murray (Kennedy 87mins), Millbank, B Chapman (Hennessy 60mins), Miller. Subs not used: Hark, Byford, Smith, Hollier.

Referee: Gareth Thomas.

Attendance: 887.

Close This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies.Learn More