Home   Dover   Sport   Article

Woking 1 Dover Athletic 2 match report

Dover ended their National League season with a win at Woking meaning but they still missed out on a place in the play-offs.

Whites came into the game knowing they would need to win and for other results to go their way. The players did their bit but they finished eighth in the table

The defeat also meant Woking were relegated after Keanu Marsh-Brown scored a last minute goal.

Giancarlo Gallifuoco scored his second goal in two games to give Dover a lead but this was cancelled out in the first half by Charlie Carter.

Mitch Brundle. Picture: Andy Jones.
Mitch Brundle. Picture: Andy Jones.

Chris Kinnear named an unchanged side for Whites after their 3-2 win against Gateshead last weekend.

Mitch Walker was forced into an early save from point blank range just three minutes into the match. From a Woking corner Joey Jones was free from a yard out but Walker saved.

Mitch Pinnock tried his luck from range 19 minutes into the first half from a free-kick 30 yards from goal. The ball was dipping but it ended up just over the crossbar.

The home fans were urging their team forward with every opportunity with the news that Barrow had gone a goal behind at home. A win would see them to safety at that stage but it was Dover who drew first blood.

Captain Mitch Brundle side footed a shot from outside the box that was heading to the top corner but Nathan Baxter pushed wide for a corner.

Pinnock whipped in the corner from the right and Giancarlo Gallifuoco headed home from eight yards to make it 1-0 with 26 minutes gone.

A long range effort from Charlie Carter on 33 minutes flew just wide of Walker’s post.

Seven minutes before half-time Woking got themselves back on level terms through a Carter goal.

Walker came racing out to close down Grego-Cox before he could cross but he was able to slip in Carter for a tap in.

Femi Ilesanmi. Picture: Andy Jones.
Femi Ilesanmi. Picture: Andy Jones.

The home side piled on the pressure in the last five minutes of the half. Walker pulled off an incredible save one-on-one with Anthony Cook and then from the resulting corner Carter smashed a header on the crossbar.

After a tight opening 15 minutes of the second half, where Dover had packed out the middle of the pitch, the first chances fell to Woking.

Nathan Ralph’s cross was dipping in and Walker tipped over. Then from the corner a header went just wide.

Another chance fell Pinnock’s way 20 minutes from time but he had to shoot quickly and couldn’t control it on his weaker foot.

A last ditch challenge prevented Pinnock from putting Dover in front. A cross from Jeffrey found the winger free in the box but his shot was cleared.

Dover: Walker, Ilesanmi, Gallifuoco, Parry (Bellamy 45mins), Essam, Lokko, Brundle, Nortey (Marsh-Brown 67mins), Jeffrey, Pinnock, Bird (Azeez 45mins).

Subs not used: Passley, Daniel.

Attendance: 2593 (Away: 187)

Close This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies.Learn More