Home   Dover   Sport   Article

Dover Athletic 2 Wrexham 1 match report

Dover scored an injury-time winner to sink Wrexham in the National League on Saturday.

Visiting skipper Shaun Pearson turned Aaron Simpson's left-wing cross into his own net to hand Whites all three points.

It was probably harsh on Wrexham who defended well with 10 men for the entire second half but Dover will feel their patience was rewarded with two goals in the last 18 minutes.

Dover pile on the pressure against Wrexham. Picture: Paul Amos
Dover pile on the pressure against Wrexham. Picture: Paul Amos

Will De Havilland made his first start of the season for Dover, replacing Scott Doe in defence.

Steven Rigg and Simpson also come into the side, replacing Bobby-Joe Taylor and Jai Reason, the latter was on the bench.

The game kicked-off 30 minutes late after Wrexham, despite staying in Ashford overnight, were late arriving at Crabble after getting stuck in traffic near Dover.

Dover started brightly enough, trying to catch their visitors cold, but visiting keeper Christian Dibble produced a fine full-length save to keep out Inih Effiong's header from Jack Munns' seventh-minute free-kick.

Chances were at a premium before Dover took the lead out of nothing on 35 minutes. The ball was played into Mark Harris, who never looked like missing as he slotted home beyond keeper Lee Worgan.

Harris then sent a curler just wide of the upright from the angle of the penalty area before the game changed complexion two minutes before the break.

Worgan claimed James Jennings' left-wing cross but Bobby Grant kicked out at the keeper as he looked to start a Dover break and referee Paul Howard - who had an excellent game - had no choice but to show a red card.

Dover almost levelled on the stroke of half-time but Dibble produced a brilliant one-handed save to keep out Alfie Pavey and Effiong's follow-up was blocked by the Wrexham defence.

The second half saw the visitors leave one player up front and Dover enjoyed the possession as they tried to break down a sea of red shirts.

Nassim L'Ghoul came off the bench to give Dover some trickery down the left but Whites struggled to create clear-cut openings.

They still had hope, however, especially with Wrexham dropping a 2-0 lead in the final seven minutes at Boreham Wood in midweek.

The equaliser duly came on 72 minutes when L'Ghoul delivered a left-wing cross and fellow substitute Modeste arrived to powerfully head.

Another dangerous break down the left by L'Ghoul ended with Pavey failing to properly connect with his cross 12 minutes from time.

Dover: Worgan, Passley, De Havilland, Lokko, Simpson, Gobern (L'Ghoul 61mins), Woods, Munns (Cumberbatch 76mins), Rigg (Modeste 61mins), Effiong, Pavey. Subs not used: Mersin, Reason.

Wrexham: Dibble, Jennings, Pearson, Lawlor, Summerfield, Young, Redmond (Rutherford 53mins), Grant, Carrington, Harris (Chambers 53mins), Hooper (Oswell 85mins). Subs: Szczepaniak, McIntosh.

Attendance: 1,187 (171 away).

More by this author

Close This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies.Learn More