Home   Faversham   Sport   Article

Faversham Town 0 Glebe 2 match report: Second-half goals from Jamie Philpot and Reece Barrett see leaders win big top-of-the-table match at Salters Lane

Two second-half goals ensured Southern Counties East Premier Division frontrunners Glebe won at fellow promotion-chasing team Faversham on Saturday.

Glebe’s top scorer Jamie Philpot put them in front after a goalless first half and Reece Barrett sealed their 2-0 victory in Town boss Tommy Warrilow’s first home match in charge, as their promotion bid took another major hit.

New Faversham boss Tommy Warrilow – lost 2-0 in his first home game in charge against Glebe on Saturday. Picture: Ian Scammell
New Faversham boss Tommy Warrilow – lost 2-0 in his first home game in charge against Glebe on Saturday. Picture: Ian Scammell

Faversham initially flew out of the blocks, with goalkeeper Nathan Edwards twice called into action to deny striker Warren Mfula and 22-goal divisional top scorer Stefan Payne at Salters Lane inside just 15 seconds.

Mfula fired wide of Edwards’ left-hand post on the turn in the third minute in front of a 380-strong crowd on a bitterly cold afternoon.

Glebe’s first opportunity saw centre-half Finn O’Mara hack a 15th-minute Rodney Eruotor shot off his own line.

But the game was largely a tight first-half affair after a rapid start until a vital fingertip save from Lilywhites keeper Lewis Briggs. He guided Malachi Morris’ powerful long-range drive against the crossbar shortly before the half-hour mark.

Forward Payne then had time to turn in the penalty box at the other end, only to send his strike high and wide, before a crucial defensive interception by 27-year-old striker Philpot on 36 minutes.

Faversham’s Matt Newman – had a first-half header cleared off the line by Glebe striker Jamie Philpot, who netted himself after the restart. Picture: Ian Scammell
Faversham’s Matt Newman – had a first-half header cleared off the line by Glebe striker Jamie Philpot, who netted himself after the restart. Picture: Ian Scammell

Edwards flapped at a Billy Bennett free-kick but Philpot was in the right place at the right time after the hosts’ skipper, Connor Essam, had crossed for midfielder Matt Newman to head towards goal.

Briggs was again busy with 44 minutes played, Eruotor’s long-range strike straight at the keeper in the last action of the first period.

It took only three second-half minutes for Glebe to go ahead. An unmarked Philpot, formerly of Millwall, Maidstone and Dartford, nodded in a sumptuous free-kick by Jason Banton on the left at the back post for his 18th goal this season.

Five minutes later, Faversham came close to a leveller when Mfula beat Edwards to a loose ball from a high free-kick and saw his effort cannon against the right-hand post.

The home contingent had penalty appeals turned down for handball after Payne’s 56th-minute shot had been charged down.

Edwards made a brave save under pressure after Newman’s near-post header from a Nathan Wood corner, which led to a break in play with Edwards and Essam down. Both were fit to continue initially but Essam was promptly replaced by returning Ollie Gray at the back, Gray making his Faversham comeback following a dual-registration spell with Hythe.

Away substitute Marcel McDonald was very lucky to not get at least a caution from referee Richard Myers midway through the second period for a late challenge on O’Mara.

Glebe doubled their advantage with 20 minutes to go. Defender Barrett was on hand to convert another left-wing delivery to spark joyous scenes.

The Lilywhites pushed for a goal to get back into the contest. They were unable to create many late clear-cut chances, though, despite Edwards making a stoppage-time save to thwart substitute Kieron Campbell.

It means second-placed Town remain without a home win since December 9 and are four points behind Glebe and firmly outsiders in the title race, with promotion-chasing Deal and Corinthian – who both had weekend matches postponed due to frozen pitches - also having games in hand on them.

Warrilow named an unchanged starting line-up from the side which got his tenure off to a winning start with a 2-1 victory at Rusthall last weekend.

That meant youngster Briggs kept his spot, ahead of newly-signed Ashford loanee goalkeeper Jacob Russell.

The Lilywhites visit Corinthian for a rearranged Challenge Cup Quarter-Final on Tuesday while Glebe, four points clear as it stands, host play-off chasing Snodland next Saturday in another important match.

Faversham Town: Briggs, Vincent, Newman, Essam (Gray 65mins), O’Mara, McIntyre (Campbell 72mins), Mfula, Bingham, Wood (Parsons 78mins), Bennett, Payne. Subs not used: Kareem, Russell.

Glebe: Edwards, Hundele, Enich, Coyle, Barrett, Hevar, Banton (Mampono 87mins), Eruotor (McDonald 65mins), Philpot (Erhabor 90mins), Morris (Fofanah 72mins), Allansani (Osei-Saahene 58mins).

Referee: Richard Myers.

Attendance: 380.

Close This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies.Learn More