Home   Folkestone   News   Article

Wayne Palmer jailed after pleading guilty to burglary, assault and criminal damage in Folkestone

A burglar who went on a campaign of terror in Folkestone, repeatedly forcing a woman to hand over cash to fund his lifestyle, has been jailed.

Wayne Palmer will spend two years behind bars, after making a series of threats to his victim, including breaking down her front door.

On one occasion, she was so scared she barricaded herself inside her own home with furniture.

Wayne Palmer. Credit: Kent Police (11064177)
Wayne Palmer. Credit: Kent Police (11064177)

The 41-year-old of no fixed address showed up at a property in Folkestone on Friday, November 30, asking to speak with his victim.

Once inside the house he became verbally aggressive and started demanding money, and grabbed her handbag and started emptying it.

His behaviour frightened the victim and the people she was with, and Palmer was handed £20 to leave.

He went on to repeat this behaviour on a number of other occasions, and on Saturday, December 1 he paid the woman another visit.

Visiting her own home, he banged on the front door shouting he would kick it down if she didn't let him inside.

She opened the door through fear he would break it. Despite telling him she didn't have any money, he grabbed her wrist and pushed her against the wall.

Palmer was once again given cash and then he left.

On Monday, December 10, the same woman called Kent Police to report that Palmer was outside her house shouting and banging on the window.

She was so scared she went into a bedroom and used furniture to barricade herself inside.

She heard Palmer going through the house shouting her name before he managed to force his way into the room she was hiding in.

She gave him money to leave and then saw he had shattered the front door.

Palmer initially denied the offences but at the start of his trial at Canterbury Crown Court he pleaded guilty to burglary, assault and criminal damage.

He was sentenced to two-and-a-half years in prison on Monday, May 20.

Investigating officer PC Karl Shonhard said: "Palmer put his victim through a number of terrifying ordeals where he repeatedly hassled her for money to fund his unhealthy lifestyle.

"She was brave in reporting him to us and thankfully he will now serve time in prison where he no longer poses a threat to her.

"Palmer has also been given a restraining order, which prevents him from making contact with her for a number of years after he is released.

"If he does he will be in breach of that order and will risk being sent back to prison."

To read more of our in depth coverage of all of the major trials coming out of crown and magistrates' courts across the county, click here.

Read more: All the latest news from Folkestone.

Close This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies.Learn More