Firefighters were called to a town centre chimney blaze.
It broke out in a home above a business in The Old High Street in Folkestone at 10.30pm yesterday.
A Folkestone Fire Station spokesman said: “Three fire engines were first called because the amount of smoke coming out seemed alarming.
“But the fire was confined to the chimney flue itself and only one engine was needed.”
One crew from the Folkestone station put out the flames and was at the scene for an hour.
The other two engines, from Folkestone and Dover, were stood down.
The home had an open fireplace and Kent Fire and Rescue Services advises all households that have them to have them swept every year.
it should be at least once a year for coal and twice for burning logs.
Cleaning chimneys and flues prevents the buildup of soot and clears blockages such as loose bricks, bird nor animal nests, leaves and debris.
Householders should also avoid overloading their grates and building fires too high.