Home   Folkestone   News   Article

Fire breaks out in Dover Road in Folkestone

Part of house in Folkestone has been destroyed by smoke after a fire broke out on the ground floor.

Firefighters and police were called to the blaze in Dover Road shortly before 9pm last night.

Nearby residents reported that smoke could be seen billowing from the roof of the property from several roads away.

Crews wearing breathing apparatus used high-pressure hose reel jets to tackle the flames.

They then used a positive pressure ventilation fan to drive smoke and fumes from the property.

A gas safety engineer and and an electrical safety engineer from UK Power Networks were also called to the scene.

No injuries were reported, but the house has been extensively damaged by smoke and flames.

A spokesman for Kent Fire and Rescue Service said: "The kitchen was 50% damaged by fire, the remainder of the ground floor was 50% damaged by smoke and the first floor was 80% destroyed by smoke.

"The cause is thought to be accidental.

"Support from our Volunteer Response Team and the British Red Cross was offered, but the residents declined assistance."

The spokesman did not say whether the occupiers are living elsewhere following the fire.

Three fire engines attended the scene in total and spent an hour and a half putting the flames out.

Close This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies.Learn More