Home   Folkestone   News   Article

Man left in hospital after late night attack in Harbour Arm Approach Road, Folkestone

A man has spoken of the harrowing moment he was viciously set upon by a gang of teenagers.

The victim, who wants to remain anonymous, was on his way home from work in Folkestone when he was dragged to the floor and kicked repeatedly.

The assault on the man happened near the Harbour Arm. Picture: Alan Langley
The assault on the man happened near the Harbour Arm. Picture: Alan Langley

The unprovoked attack went on for around three minutes as the man tried to protect his face with his arms.

His attackers demanded money, but he had nothing to give.

Police have now launched an investigation into the assault, which left the victim in hospital.

It happened just before midnight on Thursday.

The victim said: "I was on my way home from work at about 11.45pm.

'They pulled me down by my backpack and started beating me for about three minutes...'

"I went to the Harbour Arm to have a cigarette, to cool down after a busy shift.

"I had my earphones in so couldn't hear anything.

"There was a group of three guys and four girls. They pulled me down by my backpack and started beating me for about three minutes.

"As I was pulled down I tried to throw a punch but missed. After that I just tried to protect my face."

The man says the attack was completely out the blue. He said: "I've never seen these people before, never spoke to them."

Police are investigating. Stock image
Police are investigating. Stock image

They demanded money from the man, who responded that he didn't have any on him. The group them walked off.

The victim got up and assessed himself, realising he had blood on his hands but couldn't work out where it was coming from in the dark.

He went home, and then went to the William Harvey Hospital in Ashford, where he underwent tests, a CT scan and given medication.

He has been off work ever since.

The victim adds: "It has affected me. I felt the harbour was a safe place, but I now wouldn't go on my own."

The attack happened on the same night a group of teenagers smashed two shop windows in the Old High Street, and tried to break into a coach on The Leas.

CCTV showing the vandalism has been released to KentOnline.

The victim of this assault has seen the footage and says it appears to be the same group who beat him.

A spokesman for police said: "Kent Police is investigating a report a man was assaulted in Harbour Arm Approach Road, Folkestone, after being approached by a group of young people between 11.30pm and midnight on Thursday.

"The victim attended a local hospital for treatment to facial injuries and reported the incident the following afternoon.

"Enquiries to establish the full circumstances are ongoing."

Anyone with information can phone Kent Police on 01843 222289 quoting 46/219766/19.

Alternatively contact the independent charity Crimestoppers anonymously by calling 0800 555111, or completing the online form at www.crimestoppers-uk.org

Read more: All the latest news from Folkestone

To get the latest updates on ongoing cases, police appeals and criminals put behind bars, click here.

Close This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies.Learn More