Home   Folkestone   Sport   Article

First win still eluding Folkestone

SIMON GLOVER: netted consolation goal but missed a good late chance
SIMON GLOVER: netted consolation goal but missed a good late chance

Folkestone Invicta 1 Worthing 2

FOLKESTONE Invicta slumped to their second home defeat in three days when they went down against Worthing at the Buzzlines Stadium on Monday night.

The Folkestone side are still searching their first win of the season and again conceded an early goal to put themselves up against it.

Worthing increased their lead after 53 minutes before Invicta staged a late rally and pulled a goal back through substitute Simon Glover.

And Glover blasted over in the 87th minute with a chance to equalise and lift some of the doom and gloom which has descended over the club.

Invicta had got off to the worst possible start when goalkeeper Tony Kessell threw the ball out to Liam Collins and the Worthing man returned the ball with interest by chipping the ball over the hapless ‘keeper and into the back of the net from just inside the Invicta half as early as the third minute.

Collins had scored both goals when the Sussex side won 2-1 at Folkestone last season and had opened the scoring within 90 seconds that afternoon with another perfectly executed chip.

Invicta had now conceded early goals in their two previous home matches against Leyton and Heybridge Swifts and had thus fallen behind early on for a third successive home match.

There were chances at both ends after eight minutes when Micheal Everitt played the ball in to Paul Jones at the far post for Invicta and Sam Francis played a dangerous ball in from the right hand side for Worthing.

It was turning into a frustrating night for the Folkestone side as Shaun Grice headed off the line following an Invicta corner from the left hand side after 13 minutes.

Worthing themselves still carried a threat as Francis shot wide from outside the penalty area after 16 minutes and Kessell got across to touch the ball away for a corner when Collins played in another dangerous ball from the right hand side in the 27th minute.

Playing in an advanced midfield role, Steve Norman fired a low shot just wide across goal when Paul Lamb played a good low ball in to him after 35 minutes. And striker Jones shot wide from the edge of the penalty area after 37 minutes.

The visitors made a good start to the second half and Grice made it 2-0 when he thumped the ball home from 25 yards when the ball came back out to him after 53 minutes.

Stafford Browne threatened to increase the visitors' lead further after 57 minutes when he picked his spot but fired just wide from the edge of the penalty area.

Invicta were in disarray as Danny Davis ran through for Worthing before being stopped in his tracks after 59 minutes.

But the home side hit back as James Dryden shot just wide of the far post on the turn after 63 minutes when a Worthing defender headed the ball into his path.

A Kevin Watson free kick from the left hand side flew across the Worthing goal after 71 minutes as the ball would not go in for Invicta and Watson hit a low shot just wide when Stuart Myall tapped a free kick to him.

Glover pulled a goal back from close range after 83 minutes when Jones played the ball across from the right and Dryden went in with a defender at the far post.

Teenage striker Joe Neilson replaced Norman with five minutes remaining, but Glover’s late miss was the closest Invicta came to saving the day.

Folkestone: Kessell, Watson, Lamb, Flanagan, Guest, Lindsey (Glover 54), M Everitt, Myall, Dryden, Jones, Norman (Neilson 85). Subs Not Used: Chandler, J. Everitt, Mann.

Attendance: 241.

Close This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies.Learn More