Home   Folkestone   Sport   Article

Myall makes it Folkestone's night

STUART MYALL: netted his second goal in three days
STUART MYALL: netted his second goal in three days

Chelmsford City 0 - 1 Folkestone Invicta

A 83rd minute goal from Stuart Myall gave Folkestone Invicta their first Ryman Premier League victory of the season as Neil Cugley’s side recorded their first ever win at New Lodge in Billericay on Monday night.

Myall struck his second goal in three days to give Invicta a vital confidence-boosting victory when he fired into the net from close range after an initial James Dryden shot had been blocked when substitute Joe Neilson played the ball in from the left hand side.

Chelmsford are themselves struggling at the wrong end of the table and Invicta were able to build on their improved showing way to leaders Hampton & Richmond on Saturday as the visitors’ decision to revert back to a 5-3-2 formation again made them a stronger unit defensively.

Having conceded 10 goals in their three previous away matches this season, a first clean sheet of the season will have been an added bonus for Invicta.

One goal was always likely to settle this game as clear cut chances were few and far between, but Invicta had goalkeeper Tony Kessell to thank for an excellent one-handed touch onto the underside of the crossbar when Chelmsford’s Portuguese substitute Jordao let fly with a spectacular strike from the edge of the penalty area after 73 minutes.

During the early exchanges, striker Matthew Judge shot over from the left hand side of the box for Chelmsford after 12 minutes and Invicta’s Dryden drilled the ball in low from the left hand side when Micheal Everitt played the ball out wide to him a minute later.

Greg Lincoln then broke down the right hand side and caused Kessell problems with his cross on he quarter of an hour mark.

Chelmsford defender Jerrome Sobers blocked a Simon Glover shot after 22 minutes following a Micheal Everitt back heel and Myall headed across goal when Paul Lamb sent in a deep cross from the left after 27 minutes.

Richard Halle headed wide for Chelmsford when Lincoln played the ball in from the right after 29 minutes and Judge was twice close after 43 minutes when his initial shot was blocked by a defender and he then forced a corner from Kessell at the near post.

Micheal Everitt won Invicta’s first corner of the night when his shot was blocked after 44 minutes and younger brother James’ shot forced a corner from Sobers when the ball came across from left to right during first half stoppage time.

Chelmsford goalkeeper Anthony Anstead saved with his feet from Myall when the Invicta midfielder took the ball down well after a 48th minute Dryden shot was charged down.

Invicta were close again after 53 minutes when Glover charged down Anstead’s attempted clearance when James Everitt played the ball forward.

Glover then shot over after 58 minutes following a move involving James Everitt and John Guest.

Chelmsford substitute Jordao made an immediate impact as he first struck the crossbar and then hit a low 25-yard shot just wide of the post seconds later.

Following Myall’s goal, Invicta substitute Martin Chandler made a saving tackle after 86 minutes and Dryden forced a 90th minute save from Anstead with a shot on the turn following a throw from the right.

Chelmsford’s Peter Smith was booked for a foul after 57 minutes.

Folkestone: Kessell, J. Everitt, Lamb, Flanagan, Guest, Lindsey (Chandler 79 mins), M. Everitt, Myall, Dryden, Glover (Neilson 69 mins), Norman. Unused subs: Watson, Mann.

Close This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies.Learn More