by Rachel Hovenden and Craig Jones
Fire crews tackled a blaze in a bedroom caused by a damaged extension lead.
Three fire engines went to the scene of the fire in Russell Road, Gravesend, yesterday evening (Wednesday).
Firefighters got the call at about 20.20pm and believe the blaze started in a damaged, old fashioned extension lead, which had been left on.
It began smouldering and started a slow burning fire in the carpet, totally destroying the second floor bedroom.
Retired Tom Smith, 69, who lives opposite, said: "I could see the smoke coming through two windows. It wasn’t a worry for me, because I think most of the damage happened round the back.
"The fire brigade were very good apparently. The girl next door [to the blaze] said they were here almost straight away.
"My curtains are quite thin, so I could see the flashing blue lights going off.
"It’s normally quite a quiet road, even though we’ve got a pub on the corner. "We never get any trouble really."
University student, Savannah Sumra, 19, who lives nearby said:
"There were two fire engines.
"Some smoke was coming out of the house. They were here for about two hours."
Crew manager Tim Green said: "Thanks to the working smoke alarm the homeowners got the early warning needed and managed to get out of their home safely and call 999.
"Fire in the home can be devastating, but many of these fires are preventable.
"Many accidental fires, like this one begin with an electrical appliance, so it's really important that you make sure that all your electrical applicances are in good working order and not used if they are damaged in any way.
Fire crews used a positive pressure ventilation fan to clear the property of heat and smoke after the blaze and left the scene at about 9.30pm.