Home   Gravesend   News   Article

Blake's nightclub crash in Gravesend: Mohammed Abdul charged with attempted murder

By KentOnline reporter

A man has appeared in court charged with attempted murder after a car was driven into a nightclub.

At least 13 people were injured when the Suzuki Vitara smashed into Blake's in Queen Street, Gravesend just before midnight on Saturday.

Mohammed Abdul, 21, of McMillan Street, London, was arrested at the scene and has now appeared at Medway Magistrates' Court charged with attempted murder.

Emergency services at Blake’s nightclub in Queen Street, Gravesend
Emergency services at Blake’s nightclub in Queen Street, Gravesend

Abdul appeared via video link wearing a green hoodie and a plaster on his forehead.

He did not enter a plea, and spoke only to confirm his name, date of birth, and British nationality.

The court heard 13 people suffered injuries including a dislocated knee, a broken shin bone, a dislocated pelvis and cuts and bruises.

Abdul was remanded in custody until Monday, April 16, when he will appear at Maidstone Crown Court.

The incident is not being treated as terror-related.

Senior investigating officer Detective Chief Inspector David Chewter from the Kent and Essex Serious Crime Directorate said: "We have reason to believe the person responsible for the vehicle colliding with the nightclub had been asked to leave the venue earlier on in the evening.

"I’d like to take this opportunity to thank the security staff at the nightclub as well as those members of the public who helped in the initial moments after the collision.

"Many people were injured as a result of the incident but none of their injuries are described as life-threatening or life-changing.

"However, we believe there may be more casualties out there who are yet to come forward and talk to us – we would like to hear from them as we continue to build a clear picture of what happened that night."

Meanwhile grime rapper Giggs, who was on his way to perform at the venue when the incident happened, posted a video to his 735,000 Instagram followers in which he extends his sympathies to guests.

He says: "Sorry to everyone that came to see me at Blake's the other night, trust me that was going to be the jump."

He added that he was driving to the nightclub when he heard that someone had driven through a wall, saying: "What can I say, I'm sorry about that. It's good that no one was hurt too tough and no one is dead."

Anyone who was at the incident or has photos or original video footage is asked to call 0800 096 1011 or visit https://mipp.police.uk.

Follow us

Like Us on Facebook

Most popular

Kent Travel News

Close This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies.Learn More