Home   Gravesend   News   Article

Candle fire in Higham sparks safety warning from Kent Fire and Rescue Service

A man was taken to hospital after flames engulfed the caravan where he was sleeping.

The blaze is believed to have been caused by a candle.

The man was woken by the smoke and quickly left the caravan, but suffered burns and smoke inhalation.

The blaze broke out at around 4am
The blaze broke out at around 4am

Two fire engines attended the scene at Steadman Close in Higham.

Firefighters from Strood were called out after the blaze began at about 4am.

The flames spread to a fence and some fir trees and crews spent about an hour and a half bringing them under control.

The injured man was given first aid at the scene, before being taken to hospital in an ambulance.

The incident comes just days after Kent Fire and Rescue Service issued a warning after a similar fire in Canterbury.

Service delivery manager for community safety, prevention and protection, Rob Groombridge said: "Please take extra care if you are using candles at home.

"Ensure candles are placed in a heatproof holder away well away from window sills, curtains, blinds and other items that could catch fire.

"Always make sure the candle is fully extinguished after use, or if you have to leave the room, or feel sleepy, and ensure you have working smoke alarms fitted to provide early warning in the event of a fire."

Close This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies.Learn More