Home   Gravesend   News   Article

John Jeeves jailed for stamping on Liam Brencher's face in attack at Dartford nightclub

A thug has been jailed after he launched an unprovoked attack on a talented rugby player at a Dartford nightclub.

John Jeeves was caught on CCTV cameras throwing Liam Brencher to the floor and then stamping on his face and punching him.

The victim has since grown a beard to try to mask deformities from three fractures to his jaw, which had to be wired and have permanent metal plates inserted.

John Jeeves. Picture: Kent Police.
John Jeeves. Picture: Kent Police.

Maidstone Crown Court heard Mr Brencher had gone for a night out with friends at Air & Breathe in Essex Road on March 21 2014.

He was on the dance floor when he was punched in the face by another man. Soon afterwards, Jeeves, then 19, grabbed him around the neck and threw him on the floor.

Prosecutor Michael Norris said Mr Brencher staggered to his feet dazed and was hit by a heavy punch to the left side of his face.

His jaw was so badly fractured surgeons had trouble lining it up. A wisdom tooth had to be removed and he could lose three more teeth.

Air and Breathe nightclub in Dartford. Picture: Google Street View
Air and Breathe nightclub in Dartford. Picture: Google Street View

“Since that time he has grown a beard in order to try and cover up facial disfigurement of a young man,” said Mr Norris.

“This appears to be a completely unprovoked attack while he is having a fun night out with friends.”

Jeeves, of Reddy Road, Erith, admitted causing grievous bodily harm with intent shortly before he was due to stand trial yesterday.

Gordon Carse, defending, said Jeeves, now 22, was a carer for his sister and his mother, who suffered from cerebral palsy.

The unemployed gardener had a three-year-old boy and his girlfriend was expecting a second child in March. He was dyslexic and could not read or write.

The case was heard at Maidstone Crown Court
The case was heard at Maidstone Crown Court

Mr Carse said the offence was out of character for Jeeves, who had previous convictions for burglary.

“This was a one-off incident where he lost his temper undoubtedly disinhibited by alcohol,” he added.

Jailing Jeeves for six years, Judge Martin Joy said despite it being as “plain as could possibly be” from CCTV footage that he committed he offence, he had previously pleaded not guilty.

“He was a good rugby player,” said the judge. “His rugby career has stalled. He describes his life changing significantly.

“His jawline is no longer symmetrical. He said: ‘It really shocks me to see my face.’ He finds going out difficult. He has lost his confidence and enthusiasm.

Judge Martin Joy
Judge Martin Joy

The judge added: “A shod foot was used. This was a crowded dance floor. Anybody who behaves like you did in a violent and aggressive way can only expect severe punishment.”

After sentencing, investigating officer Detective Constable Matt Lincoln said: "The severity of this attack will live long in the memory of John Jeeves’ victim, who suffered significant injuries which still affect him to this day.

"People should be able to enjoy a night out in Dartford without the likes of Jeeves spoiling it for everyone with such mindless behaviour, and I welcome the decision by the courts to issue him with a custodial sentence.

"His unprovoked actions clearly show he is a danger to the public and deserves to be behind bars where he can hopefully learn to control his aggression."

Close This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies.Learn More