Home   Gravesend   News   Article

Serious fire averted

Firefighters have commended three women after their quick-thinking averted a serious fire in their Pier Road home last night.

Two fire engines were called to the two storey building in Gravesend at 10.42pm yesterday.

Crew manager John Allwright said: “The residents had been heating oil in a pan on an electric hob which had got too hot.

"Because of the high temperature, when they added the food it flashed over but luckily the women didn’t attempt to move the pan, which could have resulted in serious injuries.

"They switched the electricity off at the wall, put damp towels and a lid over the pan, starving the fire of oxygen and preventing it spreading.”

When crews arrived at the flat just four minutes after receiving the call, the fire was out and they treated the occupants for smoke inhalation.

One woman was taken to hospital for precautionary checks.

John added: “If you’re cooking with oil and fat you need to be aware, it reaches extremely high temperatures and is an ideal fuel for fire.

"Always have working smoke alarms fitted in your home and never leave cooking unattended.

“Luckily the women were in the room at the time, did exactly the right thing and also had the benefit of working smoke alarms.

"Their quick thinking actions certainly avoided a more serious incident.”

Close This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies.Learn More