Home   Gravesend   News   Article

Update: Gravesend fire which forced family to flee property caused by electrical fault

A fire started by an electrical fault has left Harpreet Kumar's home ruined.

Firefighters were called to Norfolk Road at around 5.45pm last night after receiving reports of black smoke billowing from the two-storey home.

More than four fire engines were present as the emergency services tackled the accidental fire.

Scroll down for audio

The fire in Norfolk Road was accident.
The fire in Norfolk Road was accident.

Mr Kumar, 27, lives in the property with his wife, child, mother, father, sister and brother in law.

He was on his way home from Essex when he heard about the fire.

He said: "All my stuff's inside. No one got hurt, thank god. But everything's burnt to bits now.

"It was a very big fire. There were a lot of people outside and my mum was shouting.

“All of a sudden smoke was coming out of the front door.

“My wife called my younger brother and he said there was a fire in the house. I just rushed down.

“I was coming back from my physiotherapy session in Essex. I feel very bad.”

A fire service spokesman said: "Upon arrival, crews found an occupant of the property outside, suffering the effects of breathing in smoke and provided oxygen therapy.

"Another occupant was also given oxygen, before both were transported to hospital by ambulance.

"A dog was also led to safety and is being cared for by a neighbour."

Crews wearing breathing apparatus used two main jets and two high-pressure hose reel jets from a hydrant, along with a cold-cut firefighting system designed to reduce the temperature inside a room without anyone having to go inside.

A height vehicle was also sent to help expose the fire in the roof and tackle the flames.
A dog was also treated for the effects of breathing in smoke following the blaze in Norfolk Road.

Close This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies.Learn More