Home   Gravesend   Sport   Article

Ebbsfleet United 3 Cheshunt 0 match report: National League South champions reach 100 points

Champions Ebbsfleet made it 100 points in National League South with a comfortable home win over struggling Cheshunt on Saturday.

But there was late drama as visiting boss Craig Edwards was given a red card in stoppage time by referee Daniel Lamport after an incident which saw Fleet manager Dennis Kutrieb floored.

Ebbsfleet boss Dennis Kutrieb. Picture: Keith Gillard
Ebbsfleet boss Dennis Kutrieb. Picture: Keith Gillard

Ebbsfleet made six changes from the team that lost at Braintree on Easter Monday, and there was a rare change of formation as well.

Indeed, the last time boss Dennis Kutrieb opted for a back four was in the New Year’s Day loss at Dartford.

Cheshunt started well but were behind after just seven minutes when Joe Martin set up Toby Edser and his low shot, although half-saved by the legs of keeper Adam Desbois, looped up and found the back of the net.

Fleet’s 4-5-1 formation led to striker Dominic Poleon, playing his last game of the season before his suspension starts, often being isolated up front.

Cheshunt are deep in relegation mire so they couldn’t afford to sit back and defend and, to their credit, they pushed bodies forward looking for an equaliser.

Jamie Reynolds’ 14th-minute cross fell for Ken Charles, who was thwarted by keeper Mark Cousins. Then a long throw by Zech Obeiro fell for Raul Da Silva but his shot was blocked away for a corner.

There was a rare Fleet start down the right for Darren McQueen and he came into the game the longer the first half went on, twice cutting inside and shooting wide.

Christian N’Guessan is one of a few Fleet players yet to score in the league this season and that wait continued when he fired wide from 20 yards after space opened up ahead of him just before half-time.

Ebbsfleet doubled their advantage nine minutes into the second half when Edser fed Cundle and he raced into the penalty area before arrowing a low drive into the far corner.

The third goal arrived just after the hour, Luke O’Neill turning the ball into an empty net after a training-ground corner routine bemused the visitors’ defence.

Top scorer Poleon was denied late on by keeper Desbois, who then denied McQueen's follow-up header only for a goal kick to be given.

Ebbsfleet: Cousins, O’Neill, Finney, Martin, McQueen, Solly, Wright (Clifford 75mins), N’Guessan, Edser (Coulthirst 65mins), Cundle (Domi 57mins), Poleon. Subs not used: Chapman, Hollis.

Cheshunt: Desbois, Cracknell, Pitblado, Alexander, McKenzie, Da Silva, Obeiro, Hobbs, Charles (Loza 81mins), Reynolds (Newton 80mins), Maja (Beckles-Richards 68mins). Subs not used: Cue, Edwards.

Referee: Daniel Lamport.

Attendance: 1,409

Close This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies.Learn More