Published: 00:00, 06 May 2020
| Updated: 10:55, 06 May 2020
Ebbsfleet United have named seven players who won’t be receiving new contracts at the club.
Whatever the outcome of the current National League negotiations, regarding how to finalise the season, Fleet know they won’t be involved in any more games.
It means Tomi Adeloye, Nathan Ashmore, Andre Blackman, Alex Lawless, Ayo Obileye, Sean Shields and Aswad Thomas have all been named on their release list.
Ashmore ends a four year association with Fleet. He made five appearances at the start of last season but joined Boreham Wood in October on loan for the rest of the campaign.
Shields also went out on loan, joining Notts County. The winger spent much of his time at the club with various teams on loan, including Margate and Maidstone United.
Obileye made 30 appearances and scored four goals during his one season with Fleet.
Adeloye played 22 games during the season, but most from the bench. Former Dover player Thomas got a couple of goals but played just eight games during an injury-hit spell, while Lawless and Blackman also found their time on the pitch limited.
Fleet manager Kevin Watson told the club’s website: “I’ve had to make very difficult calls and it’s the toughest part of the job.
“I’d like to thank those boys for all their tremendous effort and professionalism over the last few months and I wish them all every success.
“We’ve got targets moving forward but it’s a waiting game, particularly in the current scenario with so many things still up in the air but there’s one thing for sure and that’s about giving the club the best chance to get going once we know where we are and what we’re doing.”
National League sides were hoping to find out what the league plans to do following their board meeting on Tuesday, but nothing definite has yet to be confirmed.
Fleet face an anxious wait to see whether or not they will be relegated.
A club statement said: “The club has made efforts since the end of the season to ensure all our players have been taken care of from a welfare and contractual perspective.
“Irrespective of the league’s decisions going forward, it is clear our club will not be involved in any further competitive fixtures for this season and as such we are obligated to complete our release list.
“With so much uncertainty we felt it important to do this as soon as possible in order to give as much notice and opportunity for our released players.
“We wish to place on record our thanks to all those players for their efforts whilst at Ebbsfleet United and wish them all the best in the future.”
Earlier this week captain Jack King announced he would be leaving the club, pursuing a career outside of football instead.
Fleet added: “During these uncertain times, like all clubs, we await news on the National League structure and season commencement.
“We will continue to work with the remainder of our squad to discuss potential terms and contracts for 2020/21 once more clarity on the structure, dates for commencement of next season and financial climate of the National League and player market is evident.”
More by this authorLuke Cawdell
This website and its associated newspaper are members of the Independent Press Standards Organisation (IPSO)