Published: 06:00, 22 August 2019
| Updated: 15:38, 12 September 2019
A 34-year-old chef died after taking a cocktail of drugs, an inquest has heard.
Paramedics were called to Victoria Park, Herne Bay, on May 27 after James Chamarette was found not breathing on a friend’s sofa.
He was pronounced dead at the scene at just after 12.45pm.
An inquest into his death at Archbishop’s Palace in Maidstone on Tuesday heard how he had earlier been found unconscious outside the flat by a neighbour.
She helped Mr Chamarette inside, gave him a glass of water and put him on the sofa to sleep.
Acting police sergeant Alex Walker told the hearing: “He was lying in a front garden without many clothes on. She stroked his cheek to get some response from him. He was slurring and mumbling.
“She took him inside the property and asked if he had taken any drugs. He said he felt like he was being interrogated.”
When officers arrived at the home at about 1pm, they found unknown white tablets and a drug and alcohol support flier near Mr Chamarette’s body.
A friend of his told police Mr Chamarette had “had a rough year”, splitting from his girlfriend and leaving his job at Canterbury Cathedral seven months before.
He had also been diagnosed with depression.
A post-mortem revealed he had died of bronchopneumonia, with the drugs in his system listed as a contributory factor.
Sgt Walker said there was no evidence to suggest Mr Chamarette had taken his own life.
"It’s clear a number of drugs were taken – the reaction of which was unknown, but could have been hazardous or fatal..." assistant coroner Geoffrey Smith
Describing Mr Chamarette’s death as a “waste of life”, assistant coroner Geoffrey Smith said toxicology reports showed he had taken a “cocktail of drugs” beforehand.
“It’s clear a number of drugs were taken – the reaction of which was unknown, but could have been hazardous or fatal,” he added.
“I am entitled to infer that it would have led to bronchopneumonia. My conclusion is it was drug-related.”