Home   Herne Bay   News   Article

Faulty plug adaptor sparks bedroom fire in Herne Bay home

A faulty plug adaptor caused a fire in a bedroom which spread through a family home, causing "extensive damage" to several rooms.

Firefighters were called to the bungalow in Fairoaks, Herne Bay, just before midday today.

Two fire engines were sent to the blaze. Stock photo
Two fire engines were sent to the blaze. Stock photo

Two fire engines were sent and, on arrival, crews found smoke billowing from the property.

A Kent Fire and Rescue Service (KFRS) spokesman said: "A faulty plug adaptor has caused a fire in the bedroom of a Herne Bay family home, leaving extensive damage to several rooms.

"Everyone had safely made their way out and there were no reported injuries.

"Wearing breathing apparatus, firefighters entered the home to extinguish the fire.

"The bedroom, where the blaze first started, suffered fire, heat and smoke damage and the kitchen and lounge suffered smoke damage.

"The family were looked after by the KFRS Volunteer Response Team and British Red Cross volunteers, who were called for emotional and welfare support."

He added that the cause of the fire was believed to have been a faulty adaptor and was accidental.

The fire service is now issuing advice about electrical fires.

The spokesman said: "Electrical fires can be avoided by making sure to check plugs regularly for scorch marks and overheating.

"Never overload plugs and always make sure to use the right chargers, adaptors and leads for gadgets. Always check your smoke alarm weekly.

"For more advice about living safely, please call our team on 0800 923 7000."

Read more: All the latest news from Herne Bay

Close This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies.Learn More