A care home resident died after choking on his food.
Norman Barnes, who had Parkinson’s disease, was a resident of Ashley Gardens Care Centre in Sutton Road, Maidstone prior to his death.
The 67-year-old passed away on Wednesday, November 17.
Bina Patel, area coroner for Mid Kent and Medway, found Mr Barnes had been eating lunch in the care home’s lounge when the incident happened.
The food was not minced or moist as recommend due to his illness, which affected his swallowing.
The medical cause of death was recorded as inhalation of food and Parkinson’s disease.
The coroner raised concerns about health care staff not being aware of Mr Barnes’ care plan and how he should be served food.
A Prevention of Future Deaths report was sent to the care home, the chief coroner for England and Wales, Mr Barnes’ family, and the Care Quality Commission. The home has until April to respond with actions it will take.