Home   Maidstone   News   Article

Depressed James Spencer suffers 95% burns after setting himself on fire at Mote Park in Maidstone

A depressed warehouse worker gave no indication he wanted to take his life before he set himself on fire in Mote Park.

James Spencer suffered 95% burns and died a day after a passerby and emergency services battled to save his life.

The 30-year-old, who lived in Gallants Lane, East Farleigh, covered himself in petrol near an overflow car park and set himself alight in front of Colin Slender, who was sitting in his parked car.

James Spencer, who died after being engulfed in flames in Mote Park, Maidstone
James Spencer, who died after being engulfed in flames in Mote Park, Maidstone

Mr Slender quickly moved his vehicle to avoid it catching fire then called the emergency services.

Before help arrived a second man, John Davis-Ashdown, battled desperately to douse the flames.

In a statement, he told the inquest he wrapped his jacket around Mr Spencer and had some success extinguishing flames at the top of his body.

A teenage boy handed over his t-shirt to put out the remainder of the blaze and two workers from Mote Park’s cafe ran over with a jug of water.

Mr Davis-Ashdown said he managed to speak with Mr Spencer, who worked for a job agency.

He asked if the victim intended to kill himself - to which the answer was yes.

Mr Spencer lived with his parents and had a history of mental health problems.

Mote Park, Maidstone
Mote Park, Maidstone

Dr Jackie Gaston, from the Orchard Medical Centre in Heath Road, Coxheath, said he first complained about feeling low in November 1997 and was placed on the mental health register in 2004.

In November 2008 he overdosed on medication but later told his mother, Kathy, he did not want to die.

A year later he was diagnosed with Asperger's syndrome.

Father Duncan Spencer said the prescribed drugs caused his son to gain weight - an issue that upset him.

About six months before his death Mr Spencer stopped taking his medication and his family noticed a dip in his happiness - although he never talked about suicide.

The inquest took place at Archbishop's Palace
The inquest took place at Archbishop's Palace

Police, paramedics, firefighters and the Kent Air Ambulance all tended to Mr Spencer at Mote Park on December 4 before he was driven to King’s College Hospital.

He was moved to specialist Broomfield Hospital, in Essex, where he passed away.

Speaking at the Archbishop’s Palace, in Mill Street, coroner Patricia Harding ruled that James Spencer killed himself while suffering from depression.

Stories you might have missed

Alert after tot almost chokes on baby food bone

Crumbling note in bottle holds its ancient secret

Staff 'used joss sticks to hide smell' at death site

First World War mystery solved... 100 years on

Close This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies.Learn More