Home   Maidstone   News   Article

Dog dies and elderly woman rescued from Maidstone house fire

An elderly woman's dog has died in a fire thought to have been caused by a faulty electric blanket.

Firefighters were called to Westmorland Road in Maidstone at around 10.30pm yesterday after a neighbour heard a smoke alarm sounding in her neighbour's home.

Heading to the neighbour's front door, the resident stayed on the phone, telling the call handler what she could see.

Firefighters were called out. Library image. (4485486)
Firefighters were called out. Library image. (4485486)

Despite having mobility issues, the elderly resident managed to make her way downstairs to the hallway of her property, after the fire started in her bedroom.

On arrival, firefighters carried the woman, thought to be in her 80s, out of the property and into her neighbour's home.

Crews also discovered a 14-year-old dog who had been overcome by smoke.

Despite using a pet oxygen mask and giving it a heart massage, the dog died at the scene.

The elderly woman was taken to a local hospital for checks after suffering minor smoke inhalation.

A spokesperson from Kent Fire and Rescue Service said: "The fire is believed to have started accidentally by an electric blanket controller, which started sparking when the woman turned it off and dropped it down next to her bed. As she started to walk away from the bed it set light to the bedding and mattress.

"Although the fire was contained to the bedroom, the whole upstairs of the property was smoke damaged."

Crews left the scene at around 12.20am and are returning this morning to issue safety advice to neighbouring residents.

Close This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies.Learn More