Punters will have to wait longer than expected to return to a village pub as its reopening has been pushed back until the summer.
At one point, a dozen fire engines were at the scene in Upper Street, just off Pilgrims Way, fighting the blaze overnight.
More than a year later, the place is still a shell of its former self.
Elite Pubs, owner of the historical venue, had originally said it hoped to reopen the pub in winter this year.
Now those plans have changed with the company saying the opening will likely be delayed until next summer.
In May, the company filed a planning application to reconstruct the Grade-II listed building making small changes to the location of the kitchen and mechanical equipment saying the adjustment would “offer greater protection to both the public house and adjoining buildings”.
The plans were granted on October 13, one year after repair work on the building began.
Elite Pubs has now confirmed the new target time but cannot say anything official until the New Year.
The pub has stood as a key part of the village and it is thought the current building dates from the 18th century. An inn is thought to have stood in its spot since the 11th century.
It served as a resting place for many pilgrims making their way towards Canterbury. Monks used to occupy the building, brewing their own cider.
Its original name was Ye Olde Pilgrim’s Rest but was later changed to the King’s Head at the start of George II’s rule in 1727.
It held that title until 1975 when it reverted to Pilgrim’s Rest.
Around 20 years later, the name was changed again to what it is currently known as – The Dirty Habit.