Home   Maidstone   News   Article

Laundry basket blaze

Fire stock
Fire stock

A family had a lucky escape when their smoke alarm alerted them to a fire in their kitchen.

The family from Horsmonden were woken by the alarm going off late on Saturday night after a laundry basket was left on top of a hob which was then accidentally switched on.

A man, who carried the basket outside when it was alight, was treated for burns.

Ken Collins, crew manager from Paddock Wood fire station, said: "The family’s working smoke alarm alerted them to the fire and so they were able to escape safety.

"However this incident is a good reminder to everyone never to leave anything flammable near cookers or heaters, and to avoid tackling fires themselves. Our message is to get out and call the fire service."

Close This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies.Learn More