Home   Maidstone   News   Article

Neighbour on hand to save baby's life

Janine Butler is happy to see baby Darcy on the mend. Picture: JOHN WESTHROP
Janine Butler is happy to see baby Darcy on the mend. Picture: JOHN WESTHROP

HEARTFELT thanks have been paid to a neighbour after she saved a baby's life.

Every mother’s worst nightmare happened to Catherine Rotherham when her nine-month-old daughter, Darcy, started choking on a tiny piece of foil.

Mrs Rotherham, of Morris Close, Boughton Monchelsea, near Maidstone, remembered her neighbour, Janine Butler worked for the South East Coast Ambulance Service and ran to get her.

Still wearing her dressing gown, Mrs Butler, found the tot had started to go blue. While Mrs Rotherham dialled 999, she used the training she had learnt when she began working in the control room.

Mrs Butler said: "Darcy seemed to be okay when I first went into the house but then she started to really have problems breathing and she started to go blue.

"I laid her over my lap and gave her back slaps, as I had been trained to do. The foil fell out of her mouth into my hand."

Mrs Rotherham added: "My husband Mark had tried to help Darcy, and she seemed to be fine, then started choking again.

"Janine was fantastic and just came in and took charge. I was completely panicking but she was so calm.

"I know she saved Darcy’s life and cannot thank her enough."

Maidstone-based paramedic, Lisa Brett, who was called to the house, also praised the efforts of Mrs Butler. Darcy was taken to Maidstone Hospital for checks, but was discharged shortly afterwards.

Mrs Butler added: "At the time I was quite calm, but then it started to sink in and I felt quite shaken up."

Close This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies.Learn More