Home   Maidstone   News   Article

Owner of The Source bar to open new events venue, The W House, in Maidstone

A new events venue based in a converted town centre warehouse has been granted a licence.

The W House is now set to open in January inside a formerly vacant five-storey building between Week Street and Rose Yard in Maidstone.

A £750,000 renovation will see the structure transformed.

The W House owner Stephen Moore (Right) and general manager John Barnes (left) after the hearing
The W House owner Stephen Moore (Right) and general manager John Barnes (left) after the hearing

The first floor will include dance floor/ performance space, stage, and bar.

The second floor which be much like the first but with a mezzanine overlooking the stage.

A high-end cocktail bar and function room will occupy the top floor, complete with an open-air roof terrace.

Owner Stephen Moore, who also runs The Source in Rose Yard, revealed his vision for the events centre earlier this week.

The licence for the premises, granted by Maidstone Borough Council's sub licensing committee on Friday, covers a huge range of entertainment including boxing matches, live music and stand-up comedy.

Also allowed by the licence are a maximum capacity of 1,300 people and the sale of alcohol until 6am on some nights of the week.

The W House will occupy a vacant furniture warehouse between Week Street and Rose Yard
The W House will occupy a vacant furniture warehouse between Week Street and Rose Yard

While the owner hopes to have the first two levels completed and open by January, party-goers hoping to check-out the third floor may have to wait until August.

Confidently pre-empting the success of his application, the 52-year-old owner has already installed signage outside.

He predicts that The W House won't be open every weekend to begin with but hopes that it will pick up momentum, with acts and events arranged for most nights of the week.

The application received only one objection from Trevor Modell, owner of Gallery night club in Bank Street who expressed concerns that the new venue would serve alcohol to people under the age of 18 and accused The Source of doing this before.

Responding to the letter, Mr Moore's solicitor Stephen Thomas said: "I will say that this is a commercial rival and it's our concern that a concocted objection has been put before you because of concern that the Gallery will lose business."

Speaking after the hearing, Mr Modell said: " I totally rejected the idea that my objection was concocted as described by Mr Thomas.

"My objection was raised as I have a genuine concern that the licensing objectives will be breached and underage people will be granted admission and served alcohol."

Read more: All the latest news from Maidstone

Join the debate...
Comments |

Don't have an account? Please Register first!

The KM Group does not moderate comments. Please click here for our house rules.

People who post abusive comments about other users or those featured in articles will be banned.

Thank you. Your comment has been received and will appear on the site shortly.

 

Terms of Comments
We do not actively moderate, monitor or edit contributions to the reader comments but we may intervene and take such action as we think necessary, please click here for our house rules. If you have any concerns over the contents on our site, please either register those concerns using the report abuse button, contact us here, email multimediadesk@thekmgroup.co.uk or call 01634 227989.

Close This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies.Learn More