Home   Maidstone   News   Article

Landlord of The George pub at Yalding left in hospital after attack

A pub landlord has been taken to hospital after being attacked in his own bar.

The incident on Saturday night at The George in Yalding is said to have happened after the owner, Tony, approached a group and asked them to leave.

The George in Yalding
The George in Yalding

Police were called at about 7.50pm to reports of an assault.

Earlier reports of a stabbing taking place have been denied by police.

Villagers have given their support to the popular landlord, who runs the pub with wife Julie, in well-wishing messages from community leaders, villagers and in posts to the pub on social media.

Rachel Curley, 45, ordinand at St Peter and St Paul Church, said: “Tony is a big part of our community.

"Both he and his wife Julie do a lot for our community. Tony and indeed everyone at the pub are in our thoughts and prayers.”

The church's vicar Father Paul Kish, 53, added: “Tony and his family are very much at the heart of our village and we hold them dearly in our hearts as well."

Churchgoers prayed for his recovery during the morning service on Wednesday.

Tim Chapman, Post Master at the village post office said: “I’m sure I can speak for the whole village when I say that everyone is hoping Tony gets better soon.

“I hope the miscreant is apprehended.”

The pub closed from Sunday and reopened on Tuesday.

In a message to customers, the pub said: "Hello all, I would like to thank you all who sent messages of thought for Tony and us all.

"He is still in hospital but please God will make a very lucky recovery and we all want to thank you for all your kind thoughts."

A Kent Police spokesman has said: "We were called at around 7.50pm on Saturday to reports of a disturbance at a public house in Benover Road, Yalding.

"Officers attended the scene where a man was arrested but has since been released without charge. South East Coast Ambulance Service also attended and a man was treated for a head injury before being taken to a local hospital. Inquiries into the circumstances are continuing."

Close This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies.Learn More