A new one-way system put in place last week has already been branded as “dangerous”, with calls for it to be scrapped completely.
Tempers flared for drivers during the bank holiday weekend after traffic near McDonald’s in Hart Street and Barker Road, Maidstone, became gridlocked for hours.
The notorious bit of road near the Lockmeadow entertainment centre has caused traffic headaches for drivers multiple times in the past year.
A scheme to try and improve it has been previously pushed back three times, once in July and again in November.
It was last postponed in February due to contractor timetabling issues.
Despite this, Kent County Council (KCC) already launched the consultation process online and announced its start on their Facebook page.
They are currently asking residents, businesses and people who use the two roads to give feedback on the new system.
KCC added an update on their website last week, stating that a roundabout, one-way signage and road markings had all been successfully installed.
This now means there’s no right-turn for McDonald's customers entering Barker Road from The Broadway – who instead will go along to the mini-roundabout at the junction with Hart Street and then come back behind B&Q to the drive-through.
Last Saturday, drivers faced lengthy delays, and those living in and around the area described how they were practically trapped in their homes.
Ian Allen has lived on Hart Street for seven years and says the new layout has already failed.
“Before you would have to get out at around 11am, and it would be clogged up by midday,” he explained.
“Now there are queues by 9am. People aren’t using the roundabout properly and it is blocking up.
“The new system hasn’t made any difference, it’s more dangerous, with people overtaking on the other side of the road.”
He added: “I’ve lived here for seven years and in the last six months it is the worst I have seen.
“My husband and I have to plan our weekends and work shifts now – we move our cars to the top of the road just so we can get out.
“It’s lovely having the revamped Lockmeadow and markets, but there’s no point putting money into these things if people can’t get to them or can’t leave.”
With another bank holiday coming up, Mr Allen says he is concerned about inviting people round.
“There’s no way I would ask my family to come down to celebrate the King’s Coronation,” he said. “It’s diabolical.
“We have even thought about moving, but just don’t have the money to.
“KCC and MBC aren’t speaking to one another and nothing is getting done, it is a vicious cycle.
“Is it going to take someone to die for them to listen, because how would an ambulance get through in an emergency?”
Ed Rust, a resident from nearby Kingfisher Meadow, said: “I was 30 minutes late for an appointment on Saturday because I was stuck in the horrendous traffic queues around this area.
“The problem is the traffic lights – not McDonald’s.
“They were allowing four or five cars out on each green phase, but once you got through the lights the roads were completely clear all the way through the rest of town.”
Mr Rust says the highways authority needs to “get your heads out of your offices and and see what is actually going on here!”
Cllr Dave Naghi (Lib Dem) described the situation at the weekend as “utter, utter chaos".
He added: “David Burton, the leader of the council, promised the new one-way system was only experimental and that if it didn't work, it could be taken out again.
“It should now be removed at once, because it clearly hasn’t worked.”
A spokesman for KCC says they are continuing to ask people to give feedback via a dedicated consultation website whilst the experimental system is in operation.
Those who want to can do so by clicking here and fill out a response form.
The consultation closes on Wednesday, August 16.