A group of travellers who moved onto Mote Park in Maidstone last week have been ordered to leave by the courts.
Maidstone Magistrates’ Court today issued a section 78 order to remove an encampment of 14 caravans from the park, following an application by Maidstone Borough Council, which owns the land.
The court was told how there were a number of dogs, quad bikes and road bikes within the encampment, which was still present as of 9am this morning.
Asked how the travellers - who are believed to have come from Surrey - arrived on the land, officers said there was "a sign of a break-in" as the lock to one of the park gates was reported broken after they were first spotted on August 6.
The issue of the order means the travellers must move immediately, or else bailiffs could be deployed.
Furthermore, it is an offence for anyone to obstruct an officer exercising powers under this section.
Despite the presence of the travellers, the park still hosted Demelza's Bubble Rush event on Sunday, which raised thousands of pounds for the Sittingbourne children's hospice.